Yearly, thousands of students fail JAMB. Students keep repeating the same cycle of failure and in turn, making selfless donation to make up for the unending revenue generated by JAMB yearly. You might have sat for this examination more than once; some have seated for this same examination up to eight times with no success in sight. If you are one of the very few students who is tired of sitting for the examination over and over again or you probably just feel the urge of not sitting for JAMB examination at all thereby, seeking for another route to gaining admission, then this article is for you.
Quite a number of persons do not know there are easier route to gaining admission into the university and this is what I am about to show you. I will be discussing 4 ways to go through to gain admission into universities in Nigeria.
- IJMB A’Level Programme
You might have come across this acronym somewhere, somehow which stands for Interim Joint Matriculation Board. Trust me, this has proven to be one of the best and efficient route to gaining admission into the university. Although, this programme is being moderated by Ahmadu Bello University, it does not imply that only Ahmadu Bello University accepts this as an entry level into the university. Quite a number of university accepts IJMB as entry level. IJMB is an A ‘level programme
How does the programme work?
It begins with an application. This programme usually runs between 9 months and a year
IJMB runs for 9 months. Since it has been established to be an A ‘level programme, during the programme, A ‘level courses would be taken as well and consequently, your admission into the University would be into 200L. What most people don’t know is that IJMB is an avenue for you to widen your horizon. It exposes you to 100L courses and even more. Apart from that, you get to network with quite a number of persons both online and offline.
At the end of the lectures, an examination to test your level of understanding on all that has been thought would be given to you.
- JUPEB A’Level Programme
Another easy route to gaining admission. JUPEP is an acronym for The Joint Universities Preliminary Examinations Board. Just like IJMB, JUPEB is also an A ‘level examination. Also, admission using this route automatically implies that you will be gaining admission into 200L directly. JUPEB is moderated by University of Lagos (UNILAG).
Just like IJMB, JUPEB certificate can be used use as entry into quite a handful of Nigerian universities with the exception of University of Ibadan. Bar any future changes, JUPEB is being written around June every year while results are always being released in August.
One of the perks or advantages of the JUPEB timing is that it meets JAMB Direct entry timing and as such, you can apply for admission the same year with your JUPEB result.
Requirement for application
- You must possess a minimum of 5 Credits in relevant o’level subjects from WAEC, NECO or NABTEB in not more than two sittings and yes, awaiting result can also apply.
To register for the programme, you are to visit any of the affiliated University. These universities accept JUPEB as entry requirements
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Ondo State.
- Babcock University, Ilishan, Ogun State.
- Bells University of Technology, Ota, Ogun State.
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Ogun State.
- Federal University of Technology, Akure.
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti, Ekiti State.
- Cross River University of Technology, Idim Ita, Calabar.
- Delta State University, Abraka, Delta State.
- Federal University of Petroleum, Effurun, Delta State.
- University of Benin, Benin.
- University of Calabar, Calabar, Cross Rivers State.
- University of Port Harcourt, Port Harcourt, Rivers State.
- University of Uyo, Akwa-Ibom State.
- Wellspring University, Irhirhi, Edo State.
- Western Delta University, Oghara, Delta State.
- Imo State University, Owerri, Imo State.
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Anambra State
- Kwara State University, Ilorin, Kwara State.
- University of Abuja, Abuja
- University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Kwara State.
- Kwararafa University, Wukari, Taraba State
Above listed Universities has been handpicked across all the geopolitical zones in Nigeria. You can visit www.jupeb.edu.ng for more information.
- Pre-Degree Programme
Pre-degree programmes are similar to A ‘level programmes. Unlike A ‘level programmes where standard 100l courses would be taught, O’level programmes are being taught. Consequently, admissions into100l as applicable to the university where it was taken would be offered. This programme can only be used in the university where it was registered.
NOTE: Not all universities offer Pre-Degree programmes, University of Ibadan for instance.
- Diploma Programmes
Diploma programmes are usually run for two academic calendar i.e. it is a two-year programme. It usually follows a standard academic session for undergraduate.
Upon completion of the programme, candidates who have a required minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) as specified by the University accepting diploma as requirement will gain admission into the regular programme as a Direct entry.
It is important to take note that not all courses are available as in the case of diploma and as such, make due research, follow through on requirements for your course of study and finally, how to apply. Read the courses available, requirements and how to apply.